Valutazione discussione:
  • 1 voto(i) - 5 media
NATO
Dan Cooper Offline
Posting Freak

Discussioni: 24
RE: NATO
Qualcuno si sta seriamente interrogando sui concreti risultati del recente summit NATO alla luce delle prese di posizione del Presidente Trump:

NATO and the Claim the U.S. Bears 70% of the Burden: a False and Dysfunctional Approach to Burden-Sharing

Citazione:...Part of the potential destructiveness of the NATO Summit meeting lay in the uncertainty of the President's commitment to NATO. On the one hand, he signed a Summit statement that strongly supported the alliance. On the other hand, he also implied that he might make serious force cuts if nations like Germany did not spend more. He also questioned the U.S. commitment to Montenegro. When a Fox News commentator asked him "Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?" The President replied, "I understand what you're saying. I've asked the same question." 

While it was certainly unintentional, his response did bear an unfortunate similarity to Neville Chamberlin's famous statement about Czechoslovakia at the time of the Munich crisis in 1938, "a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing..." 

What may do more lasting damage is the debate over NATO burdening sharing...

[Immagine: nato_merkeltrump_071118getty.jpg?itok=EVU46Etg]

Dear NATO, It’s Time to Hit Pause on Your Summits

Citazione:The apparent damage done to transatlantic solidarity during the recent North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit—in conjunction with the meager results of that summit—raises serious questions about whether and why there needs to be another such meeting for the foreseeable future. Given the significant costs and the paltry benefits, the alliance ought to forego summit meetings while President Trump remains in office. Instead, it ought to rely on ministerial-level meetings where most of the serious agreements are hammered out in any case.

As most NATO observers can attest , the NATO Brussels Summit was a disaster concerning public relations, diplomacy, and strategic deterrence. The summit began with President Trump excoriating Germany not merely for its low defense spending but also for its plans to construct a second gas pipeline from Russia, known as Nord Stream 2 . Furthermore, Trump called Germany—the country that has led European Union efforts to sanction Moscow over its actions in Ukraine—a “captive of Russia”...
30-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Cerca Cita messaggio
Dan Cooper Offline
Posting Freak

Discussioni: 24
RE: NATO
Two Percent Defense Spending for NATO Is a Flawed Idea

Citazione:...It is also important to note that, even though only eight of NATO’s twenty-nine members have met the 2 percent goal, the Europeans are already spending significantly more than Russia. For instance, last year, non-U.S. NATO members spent nearly $300 billion while Russia spent only about $66 billion. Furthermore, the top four European spenders—France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and Italy—spent more than two-and-a-half times what Russia did...

[Immagine: trump-merkel-nato-summit-768x448.jpg]
(Questo messaggio è stato modificato l'ultima volta il: 04-08-2018, 01:57 PM da Dan Cooper.)
04-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Cerca Cita messaggio

Vai al forum:

Utenti che stanno guardando questa discussione: 1 Ospite(i)